Indian Badminton stars Saina and Parupalli Kashyap said that the Badminton World Federation should put plans for the Olympics qualification event on hold as regards the deadly Coronavirus disease, which has caused mayhem on the qualifying tournament ahead of the Tokyo games in Japan.
There have been serious concerns about the swift spread of the virus, which has caused a postponement in the four Olympic qualifying tournaments so far. [ Lingshui China Masters Feb 25 – March 1, Vietnam international Challenge March 24th – 29th, German Open March 3rd – 8th, and finally the Polish Open March 26th-29th].
Saina Nehwal has, however gone on twitter to make her intentions known by tagging the BWF [Badminton World Federation] and IOC [International Olympic Committee] that qualification periods can be extended if a coronavirus is disrupting the tournaments.
The London Bronze Olympic medalist is placed 22nd on the qualifying list to Tokyo games, and she needs to improve her form too have a chance of qualifying for the Olympic Games in Tokyo.
Saina’s Husband, who is also a badminton player and Commonwealth Games champion together with former world number one Kidambi Srikanth replace in the 24th and 21st position respectively on the Tokyo list.
The duo will be looking to get into the top 16 of Tokyo list, which includes China’s two-time Olympic champion Lin Dan who occupies the 30th position on the list as well, are also trying to make the cut list.
The badminton World Federation, however, said on Friday that they have no plans to make any changes to the regulation as regards the Tokyo games qualification period.
The body [BWF] also added that currently, as it stands, the plans for the event will go on as scheduled, and they will be a close eye on how things unfold.
Written by: Olumide Akinnifesi