After serving as the head coach of FC Goa for three seasons, Sergio Lobera will be taking over the reigns as head coach of Mumbai City FC for the 2020/21 season of the Indian Super League. Although FC Goa couldn’t make it to the finals of the ISL this season, Lobera’s side did win the ISL shield by finishing at the top of the table at the end of the league stage. Here, we will take a look at some of Lobera’s achievements during the past three seasons of the ISL.
- No other coach won more games than Lobera during the last three seasons of ISL. FC Goa played 51 matches with Lobera as head coach and won 28 out of them while drawing 10 and losing 13. The total points (94) earned in these matches is also the most for any coach during this period.
- Goa scored 110 goals under Lobera which is also the most for any Team during this period. Bengaluru are second in the list but there is a wide gap as they have scored only 86 goals.
- In terms of chances created, Goa top the list once again with 144 chances. Bengaluru are the second best once again with 105 chances created. The gap is a massive one once again.
FC Goa today has mutually parted ways with coach Sergio Lobera, Jesus Tato and Manuel Sayabera. The club thanks Sergio and his assistants for their services.
— FC Goa (@FCGoaOfficial) February 1, 2020
- Lobera’s playing style is largely based on possession play and hence, it isn’t surprising that FC Goa kept the most amount of possession (56.9%) during this period.
- FC Goa also made the most number of accurate passes during all three seasons combined and topped the dribbling charts this season as well.
Despite such a tremendous success, Lobera couldn’t lead FC Goa to the title during any of the seasons. The Gaurs played in 10 knockout games under Lobera and won only one of them, which came in the 2018/19 season. Although they made it to the finals in the same season, they lost out on the final hurdle to Bengaluru FC. So this is one area in which Sergio Lobera needs to improve. His brand of football is pretty attractive as it is based on possession play and attacking. But the defense is left quite vulnerable in the knockout games and that explains his struggles in that stage. But the Spaniard is a brilliant tactician and he will definitely look to improve on this aspect during his time with Mumbai City.
Written by : Prasenjit Dey